Links from around Detroit
- Eastern Market announced yesterday that starting July 12th the popular market will be open on Tuesdays from 11am to 7pm. The weekday version will offer a smaller sampling of its usual Saturday fare.
- While at the Schwankovsky a few weeks ago for vitaminwater uncapped we noticed a martini glass in the sky. Seriously! The martini glass was situated on top of the David Stott Building and now we know why. The SkyBar recently opened on the ground floor of the building.
- The Catherine Ferguson Academy, an alternative high school for pregnant teens, is scheduled to close on June 17th. The school has a 90% graduation rate and is instrumental in turning these girls lives around and stopping the cycle of teenage pregnancy. A rally is scheduled for tomorrow, June 16th to save the school.
- More bad news on the food truck front in Detroit. Officials and antiquated laws are keeping them at bay. However, I did learn about a food truck that had previously not been on my radar. Follow Concrete Cuisine on Twitter and Facebook to find out their location du jour.
- The original Emancipation Proclamation document is on loan from the National Archives and available for viewing at The Henry Ford for a really limited time. The document will be on display from the evening of Monday, June 20th to the morning of Wednesday, June 22nd. The event runs around-the-clock and is free to the public. This is a unique opportunity and shouldn’t be missed.
Win tickets to the Best of Detroit party at the Soundboard at Motor City Casino
Hour Magazine’s Best of Detroit Party features hors d’oeuvres and drinks from 30 restaurants! My favorite soul man, Mayer Hawthorne & The County, are performing along with the Killer Flamingos and DJ powdrblu. Tickets are available here.
I’m giving away a pair of tickets to one lucky Detroit Moxie reader. These are $85 tickets, people! And the Motor City Casino knows how to throw a party.
How to win:
Add a comment to this post with your favorite place in metro Detroit. Bar, restaurant, park, cultural institution, shops, etc. Anything goes! You must leave your email address when leaving the comment or you won’t be eligible. (I need to be able to contact you if you win!)
For an additional entry, tweet the following:
I want to win tickets to the #BestofDetroit party @motorcitycasino from @becksdavis & Detroit Moxie. http://bit.ly/l0mKDE #moxietix
For the additional entry, you must have already left a comment on the post with your favorite place.
The contest ends on Sunday, June 19th at 11:59 p.m. EDT. The winner will be announced on Monday, June 20th. I will select the winner using random.org.
So, what's your favorite place in Detroit?