Today is World AIDS Day. I have lost a family member and friends to AIDS or complications from AIDS. I rode a bicycle from Minneapolis to Chicago—that’s 500 miles in six days—to raise money for AIDS care organizations in Chicago. Yeah, I know, I still need to write about that.
The goal is zero by 2015 and it's possible. That’s zero new infections, zero AIDS related deaths and zero discrimination. We can do this.
Check out World Aids Day Detroit and their 30 Years of AIDS: Getting to Zero event. Donate. Get involved. Get informed. We can do this.
Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming. It's going to be a fantastic weekend in Detroit. Noel Night is one of my favorite ways to get in the spirit of the season.
1. Jessica Hernandez & the Deltas - Hit the Magic Stick to hear the big voice of Detroit native Jessica Hernandez. Bear Lake and The Juliets round out the evening. December 2nd.
2. The Potters Market - The largest pottery show in the country features over 130 potters and fills a 12,000-square-foot space. December 2—4.
3. Somerset Collection CityLoft - The popular pop-up shopping experience is back for the holidays featuring about 30 stores. December 1—3.
4. Detroit Urban Craft Fair - The 6th annual event takes place at the Masonic Temple this year and is a THE place to snatching up fun, quirky, crafty gifts this holiday season. December 3—4.
5. Noel Night - It's all happening in Midtown on Saturday night! Over 60 venues, including the DIA and the Detroit Historical Museum, open their doors free of charge. Shop at fabulous stores such as 71 Pop, Leopold's Books, City Bird and the brand-spanking-new Nest. Horse-drawn carriage rides and entertainment round out the evening. December 3rd.
Do you know of a great event going on in Metro Detroit this weekend? Add it to the comments and share it with us!