Food brings us together in the most delightful and delicious ways, or as chef and food writer James Beard put it, “Food is our common ground, a universal experience.”
After moving to the UK, I realized that I had to start cooking, both for survival purposes and to satisfy my cravings for food that you can’t get in restaurants in England.
And that is when I fell in love with food blogs!
The Pioneer Woman Cooks, Bakerella and Smitten Kitchen are the first that come to mind but there were countless others. I copied and pasted recipes, drooled over photographs and searched the grocery store aisles for ingredients.
Much to my surprise, I’ve only had one or two disasters. And by disasters, I mean that the dish had to be thrown out and the pizza delivery man saved the day. I’ve come along way since then and now consider myself a decent cook; I really owe that to food blogs and the internet.
I’ve rounded up some of the tastiest local food blogs that not only celebrate the restaurants of Detroit but also the art of cooking.
1. Mira Uncut - Mira plays with food in a creative, braniac way through molecular gastronomy. She also shares her recipes, love of Middle Eastern food, and reviews local restaurants.
2. The Hungry Dudes - This group of 5 (one is actually a dudette) explore local eateries and spread the food porn via their photos. They’re constantly making me hungry. Seriously.
3. Solid Dudes Kitchen - These guys are probably going to be pissed off that I called them bloggers. They have a blog but really, they’re a cooking show. A very funny, expletive laden, cooking show.
4. Simmer Down! - Noëlle calls her self a ‘culinary adventuress’ and I love that she shows us a little glimpse of her life as she shares her recipes.
5. Gourmet Underground Detroit - This isn’t just a blog it’s a food revolution! They are a community dedicated to sharing the best of food and drink with their friends and neighbors. Be sure to check out their forum.
6. Bite Detroit - Rebecca is eating her way through the Motor City and sharing her culinary adventures with us. I just gotta say, I’m totally jealous that she thought about taking a tour of Detroit’s fabulous pizza scene before I did. Pizza is my favorite food group!
7. Dining in Detroit - The thorough reviews and news about food and restaurants in Detroit will keep you salivating and going back for more.
These are some of my faves, what are your favorite local foodie blogs? What do you like most about food blogs? Photos, recipies, news, discussion?