Did you know that Metro Detroit has green public transit? Yes, it’s true! It’s called The Night Move and it serves Royal Oak, Ferndale, and Detroit. The Night Move is a bus that runs on B20 biodiesel and is partnered with carbonfund.org to balance out the remainder of their carbon footprint.
The bus runs every Friday and Saturday night from 6pm to 3am and costs $10 in advance for an all night pass or $6 each way at the door. You can book it online.
What does this mean for you?
- No need to worry about parking or debating about who is going to be the designated driver.
- It’s safe and less expensive than a taxi.
- Take The Night Move into Detroit to see a Tigers game or do some bar hopping.
- Jump on the bus in Royal Oak and take it to Ferndale or vice versa.
- Detroiters can take the bus for a night out in the burbs of Royal Oak & Ferndale.
But wait, there’s more! Starting July 1st, The Night Move will operate the Shanghai Express to take passengers from Royal Oak to Shanghai Wednesdays at Mon Jin Lau in Troy. This service runs from 9pm to 2am, every Wednesday, and it’s free.
The Night Move also runs during some special events. This weekend, June 13-14, they have added service for the Red Bull Air Race. On Saturday, they’ll be starting at 10am and will run on Sunday from 10am to 9pm. They’ll also be running the bus early when Kid Rock plays his two concerts at Comerica Park in July.
I just wish they would add a stop in Birmingham. Sigh.